Tuesday 26 April 2011

Kirkintilloch Walks - Barr Hill Roman Fort


Less than two hours ago I was sitting on the old Furnace of the Cauldarium at the Bath House at Barr Hill Roman Fort.

On the way there on my walk along the Canal Towpath, I passed many traces of 18th & 19th Century Archaeology, including old Pit Buildings and Piers.

On the path leading up to Barr Hill there was also a WW2 Anti Aircraft gun enplacement foundation.

It is a beautiful morning, and I sat at the Fort for some time soaking up the atmosphere.

The Fort was excavated during the early 20th century, and when the 30 ft deep well was excavated, many finds were made, including Roman boots, bottles etc.


On the way back I passed an interesting 18th century building on the Canal near Shriva Basin, a two storey Stables Block.

Next I hope to make a further walk to the Fort, then Further along the  course of the Antonine Wall.

No comments:

Post a Comment